Installation and Administration
The Installation and Administration course provides a hands-on overview of the processes for installing, configuring, administering and maintaining the Pentaho Business Analytics suite of products. Through a mixture of interactive instructor-led activities and exercises, students learn the key concepts and utilities to administer the Pentaho Business Analytics suite of products.
- Use the archive installer to quickly implement production deployments of the Pentaho platform, speeding time-to-value. This process includes installing and connecting to the Pentaho Enterprise Repository, Scheduler, and Audit databases
- Gain experience using the built-in scheduler to allow for better understanding user requirements for administered applications
- Learn how to properly install database drivers for both server and client tools.
- Use the Operations Mart to view usage statistics for performance tuning
- Learn how to migrate data from one environment to another in multiple scenarios.
- Import, export, and purge the repository through GUI and command-line tools.
- Determine initial memory allocations for server and client environments through JVM Heap space allocations.
- Explore the end-to-end architecture of the Pentaho platform components from content management to understanding possible security implementations
- Install and configure the Pentaho Business Analytics platform
- Understand how to change port numbers, URLs, database connections, and JVM memory allocations for server and client environments.
- Create new, simple reports using Interactive Reporting and Analysis
- Customize the look of the User Console
- Create report schedules
- Create a new database connection and learn how to install JDBC drivers
- Use Data Access to retrieve task data from a system table
- Use Operations Mart to assist with performance tuning
- Initial tuning of the Java virtual machine
- Understand ETL objects (extract, transform, load) jobs and transformations using Data Integration
- Configure the Data Integration Enterprise Repository, including basic security options
- Create and examine database tables that hold job and transformation metrics
- Create schedules, users, and security in the Administration view of the User Console and PDI Repository Explorer
- Import, Export, Backup, Restore, and Purge the PDI Repository using GUI and command-line tools
At the completion of this course you should be able to:
Online courses require a broadband Internet connection, the use of a modern Web browser (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox), and the ability to connect to GoToTraining. For more information on GoToTraining requirements, see http://www.gotomeeting.com/online/training.
Online courses use Pentaho’s cloud-based exercise environment. Students are provided access to a virtual machine used to complete the exercises. For online courses, students are provided with a secured, electronic course manual. Printed manuals are not provided for online courses. When an electronic manual is provided, students are encouraged to print the exercise book before class begins, though this is not required.
Students attending this course on-site should contact their Customer Success Manager for hardware and software requirements. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding on-site training requirements.
Module 1: Pentaho Architectural Overview
Pentaho Architectural Overview
Module 2: Installing the Pentaho BI Suite
Installing the Pentaho BI Suite
Module 3: Configuring the Pentaho BI Suite After Installation
Configuring the Pentaho Suite After Installation
Module 4: Introducing the Pentaho User Console and Analysis Tools
Introducing the Pentaho User Console and Analysis Tools
Module 5: Customizing the User Console
Customizing the User Console
Module 6: Using the Pentaho Administrative Perspective
Using the Pentaho Administrative Perspective
Module 7: Data Integration Server Overview
Data Integration Server Overview
Module 8:Creating Jobs and Transformations in Data Integration
Creating Jobs and Transformations in Data Integration
Module 9: Data Integration Server Administration Topics
Data Integration Server Administration Topics
Module 10: Database Connections
Installing JDBC Drivers
Creating Database Connections
Using the Database Explorer
Module 11: KETTLE_HOME & kettle.properties
How to set use kettle.properties
Module 12: The Data Integration Repository
Connecting to the Repository
Module 13: Managing the Repository
Importing and Exporting Repository Objects
Backing up and Restoring Repository Objects
Purging the Repository
Enabling Versioning and Commenting for Repository Objects
Module 14: Configuring Pentaho Security
Configuring Pentaho Security
Module 15: Configuring the Java Virtual Machine
Configuring the Java Virtual Machine