Security Fundamentals (SA1000)
This course is designed to introduce software architects to all aspects of security within Pentaho. Security is a common area that needs to be extended when working in an enterprise environment that already has a security solution. As part of this course, you will learn how Pentaho enforces security. You will also learn how to implement custom authentication and single sign-on and how to get information about users from custom sources.
Most embedded uses of Pentaho involve some level of data level security or multi-tenancy. In this course, you will learn how to implement data security to restrict access to data based on user. You will learn how to implement multi-tenancy of data and content, such as folders and reports.
This course focuses heavily on labs to allow you practical hands-on application of the topics covered in each section.
The course is fast paced and intended for a technical audience with a firm grasp of business intelligence and the Pentaho BA suite.
- Improve productivity by giving your software architects the skills they need to implement a security strategy for Pentaho
- Interactive, hands-on training materials significantly improve skill development and maximize retention
At the completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand how Pentaho Security is architected
- Get user information at session startup
- Implement Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Secure data at the report, cube, and model level
- Secure content via folders and reports
Students should complete BA1000 Business Analytics User Console for a general understanding of the Pentaho visualization tools and their purposes or have equivalent Pentaho field experience.
The course is fast paced and intended for a technical audience with a firm grasp of business intelligence and the Pentaho BA suite. Familiarity with Java is beneficial.
Students attending classroom courses in the United States are provided with a PC to use during class. Students attending courses outside the US should contact the Authorized Training Provider regarding PC requirements for Pentaho courses.
In general, if your training provider requires you to bring a PC, it must meet the following requirements. You can also verify your system against the Compatibility Matrix: List of Supported Products topic in the Pentaho Documentation site.
- OS X or Linux desktop operating system. Windows XP & 7 are acceptable but not preferable (for Macintosh support, please contact your Customer Success Manager)
- Java 7 installed
- A Java code editing tool installed such as Eclipse or IntelliJ. Text editors are not recommended
- RAM: at least 10GB
- Hard drive space: at least 2GB for the software, and more for solution and content files
- Processor: dual-core AMD64 or Intel EM64T
Students attending this course on-site should contact their Customer Success Manager for hardware and software requirements. You can also email us at email@example.com for more information regarding on-site training requirements.
Module 1: Introduction to the Lab Environment
Lab: Setting up the Development Environment
Module 2: Platform Architecture Overview
Module 3: Introduction to Pentaho Security
Module 4: User Session Attribute Population
Lab: Startup Actions
Module 5: Authentication and Authorization
Module 6: Single Sign-On
Lab: Single Sign-On
Lab: User Detail and Role List Service
Module 7: Database Sharding
Module 8: Pentaho Reports Security
Lab: Secure a Pentaho Report
Module 9: Mondrian Security
Lab: Dynamic Schema Processor (DSP)
Lab: Custom Roles
Module 10: Metadata Model Security
Lab: Data Constraint
Lab: SQL Generator
Module 11: Content Security
Lab: Access Voter